2/16/09

Thirsty Wandering Souls



Lost in the forest
Lost in the forest, I broke off a dark twig
and lifted its whisper to my thirsty lips:
maybe it was the voice of the rain crying,
a cracked bell, or a torn heart.

Something from far off it seemed
deep and secret to me, hidden by the earth,
a shout muffled by huge autumns,
by the moist half-open darkness of the leaves.

Wakening from the dreaming forest there, the hazel-sprig
sang under my tongue, its drifting fragrance
climbed up through my conscious mind

as if suddenly the roots I had left behind
cried out to me, the land I had lost with my childhood---
and I stopped, wounded by the wandering scent.

by Pablo Neruda


As I see my soul reflected in Nature,
As I see through a mist,
One with inexpressible completeness,
sanity, beauty...

-Walt Whitman

5 comments:

Sprout said...

"Thirsty wandering souls" - you mean you and Andreea?!

I have that brown leaf, BTW. Cecropia from PR!

Michelle May said...

Oh yes, if you only knew how thirsty. Literally and philosophically! Cecropia...so many cool pictures of them. I will come by and make a purchase, my fine friend de las floras.

andreea said...

Thirsty for life, adventure and feeding the creative soul...
Surrounded by amazing colors, texture, shapes and vistas. Everywhere you looked there was a photo moment...Love the Georgia of the rainforest!

Sprout said...

I will fan you with a giant brown and white leaf!

Michelle May said...

Kai, for some reason your published comment is not showing up, here. It was beautiful. Can you try a shorter one?