2/4/09

It's Rosa's Birthday


I have learned over the years that when one's mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear.
{Rosa Parks}

She was perhaps the most important person I have ever met in my life. This little person changed history and began the civil rights movement. When James Blake (no not the tennis hotty) told her to give up her seat, her refusal was backed by the masses and started the Montgomery Bus Boycott in 1955. That little ol' boycott was organized by Martin Luther King.

As an honor student in junior high school, there was an impromptu field trip one day...little did we know it was to meet Rosa Parks. At Mechanics Hall in Worcester, Massachusetts she spoke to all of us in her grandmotherly voice. Then she shook each and every hand of the hundreds of students that were there. It took a long time and not one fidgety adolescent complained.

Image of graffiti from the trail in El Yunque Rainforest, PR

I remember this boy I knew from an Inter High Student Council convention, his first name was Doug and he was a funny guy, who joked around with all of us doing his human beat box silly stuff on the trip. Well, he got up on stage and I shivered in my seat, not knowing what was coming next. He got up and he sang so deeply and meaningfully. Everyone in the room was blown away. I don't even know his last name, but that boy sang for Rosa and I will never forget it!

She passed away 4 years ago. At her funeral Condoleezza Rice spoke about Rosa opening the doors that led to her position as Secretary of State.

Now, look at where we are...

No comments: