4/24/09

Tocar Interior Design



{images via Tocar}

From her hometown of Worcester, Massachusetts, Christina Sullivan ventured to New York City and now has become one of the youngest and most talented designers to watch! In partnership with Susan Bednar Long, whom she met working at Polo Ralph Lauren. She struck out on her own after Polo, attaining impressive clients including one of my favs, Donna Karan. Imagine designing for DK? Before connecting with Susan and founding Tocar, a Spanish word meaning to influence or to touch, she was already well on her way.

Keeping her on my radar, I knew Christina was in New York designing. With my love for design she kept me inspired...I heard that she was at Polo, then Hilfiger. It had been her dream since we were girls in dance school here in Worcester. We worked in retail together as well, at G.W. Walrus in the old Worcester Center Galleria. There was a lot of talk of fashion, design and music...her love for U2 ran deep. I recall her resourcefulness even then, trying to meet Bono with a connection of her grandmother's neighbor. We had a great time there, I think she owes me one, because I worked the day of the concert for her, after standing in line to buy the tix. I recall her having a swatchbook even then. We were no more than seventeen.

One day, perusing Elle Decor, I flipped open a page and there she was! So I immediately tried to find her. Her design firm reflects the aesthetic she has always had, even as a young girl, elegant, polished with every detail attended to.

Check out the link, they have been mentioned in every design mag possible. Congratulations Christina and Susan. I hope to see you when we head out to NYC for the National Stationery Show in a few weeks!

Tocar Interior Design
165 Madison Ave, Suite 500 New York, New York, 10016 USA 212-779-0037 info@tocardesign.com
www.tocardesign.com

1stdibs
has a great slideshow showcasing Tocar's work.

No comments: