7/14/10

Friends, Old Friends

{image by the sartorialist via ffffound}

Facebook has brought a lot of old friends together. Sometimes real friends don't need facebook to do the trick, but it sure is an easy way to find and rally up the ones you miss. I got a message yesterday from an old friend from elementary school. We have been friends since I moved to the school in second grade. We were lucky. Our group from elementary school really remained friends all through life. I don't know how many people can say that. So, this friend that contacted me lives out of state now, but our families have kept in touch and live in the same town in the summer and the same state in the winter. You know, the lucky parents that retire and summer on the Cape and winter in the sun down in Florida, where the children and grandchildren can visit them and Mickey at the same time. A sweet life.

This weekend is her grandparent's 90th birthday party! Her whole family is together on the Cape for that celebration and she has invited me to join them, while they are still there. We used to call her grandfather "the candy man" because he sold candy and his home was filled with Willy Wonka style goodies. His house that I used to visit, was a camp on the Stiles Reservoir in Spencer. My mind is filled with the craziness of childhood and this friend, Laura, who really made it fun, i mean pee your pants "fun". So today's post is dedicated to old friends that you can see in the mind's eye as if it were yesterday.

This image above could be anyone of the girls from Wawecus Road School on any hot summer day, riding their bikes to Kendrick Pool or from Burncoat Street to Penny Parker's out in West Boylston. My childhood days were pretty awesome because of the friends I had and the school I went to. I hope my children feel that same way when they are in their 40's and that friend invites them to hang out. So, Laura Ann, it's also your birthday, I did not forget! So happy birthday to you and thank you for the wild and incredible memories of our childhood. I don't know how our parent's did it.

xo to you little lady and I hope to see you on Sunday!

No comments: