1/6/09

Is there a Vama Veche in the Caribbean?




Tonight I was searching, searching for a nice little place to put myself down on some warm sand. Is there a place in the Caribbean that is bohemian and artsy?

For years, maybe 15. I lost track. My friend, Andreea and I were trying to get to this place, shown in the pictures, together for an adventure. Finally it happened, with our families and friends... and our new babies. We all met at the Black Sea and enjoyed the beaches of Vama Veche. We stayed a couple miles away in Doi Mai with a wonderful family. Lazar was their name. If we ever venture back, and I am certain that we will, we will again stay there. I think you should too!


My search for a Mexico back up (US territory) did not pan out--unless Andreea can work some magic at the embassy. (see last post) I will not give up until I find a chic artsy town with blue water and sandy shores for my feet to walk upon, and my eyes to take in.

If anyone knows of this place, do tell us, as we are in search of another. The magic carpet wants to depart and we need a final destination!


all images taken by me this summer in RO

....Take me on a trip upon your magic swirlin' ship. My senses have been stripped. My hands can't feel to grip. My toes too numb to step, wait only for my boot heels to be wanderin'. I'm ready to go anywhere, I'm ready for to fade into my own parade, cast your dancing spell my way, I promise to go under it.


-Bob Dylan


Update: for those that have not read the corresponding travel stories...yes, there is a comparable place...Old San Juan. Althought the shore does not meet the down the way it does at the Black Sea and Ovidiu is replaced by Cristobal and a couple others...El Batey and the vibe are perfect. Although we stayed in Isla Verde at a little boho chic beach house, called "The Beach House", we visited OSJ daily to walk the streets, take photos and get acquainted with El Batey. Ovidiu does have his personality, which no other bartender or bar can duplicate of course, but this is a closer find!

No comments: